Bridgwater College Academy recognises that high self-esteem, confidence, supportive friends and clear lines of communication with a trusted adult helps all children, and especially those at risk of, or suffering from, abuse. Therefore at Bridgwater College Academy we have:
- An ethos where children feel secure and encouraged to talk, and are listened to. This is evidenced everyday through our agreed Academy values.
- Established that students know there are adults in the Academy who they can approach if they are worried or are in difficulty.
- Included in the curriculum activities and opportunities for Social, Moral, Spiritual and Cultural education which equip students with the skills they need to stay safe from abuse and which will help them develop realistic attitudes to the responsibilities of adult life in Modern Britain.
- Ensured that wherever possible every effort will be made to establish effective working relationships with parents and colleagues from other agencies.
The Safeguarding Team at BCA
BCA takes its safeguarding responsibilities extremely seriously. Our current policy, which you can download here or from our main Policies page outlines our processes and procedures.
All staff and volunteers at the Academy receive annual child protection and safeguarding training and are aware of the procedures for passing on concerns about children.
If any members of the Academy or local community have concerns about the welfare of a child, they can pass it onto the Safeguarding Team at BCA. The team consists of key staff who work with the children and families. They are clearly identified at the Academy by their pink lanyards. Miss Kate Nichols is the Designated Safeguarding Lead at the Academy, Mr Iain Drayton and Miss Nicola Hale are the Deputy Designated Safeguarding Leads. Below is the whole team with contact numbers and email addresses for the DSL and DDSLs.
General Safeguarding Information
- 14 BCT Staff Code of Conduct Mar2017
- BCA Behaviour and Exclusions Policy V7 July 2018
- BCA E Safety Policy
- BCA Preventing Bullying Policy v4
- BCA Safeguarding Policy 2019 2020
- BCA Sex and Relationships policy V3
- BCT Whistleblowing Policy June 2018 signed
- DFE Keeping children safe in education 2019
- DFE Prevent duty departmental advice v6
- DFE Working Together to Safeguard Children
- The BCA Child Protection Statement
- Useful Information
- What do you do if you feel a child is at risk
- What is Safeguarding